Skip to content

Water softener advice

Water softener advice for individuals

Are you looking for long term water softener advice? We happily help you on your way with accurate information about the different ways to soften your water and also prevent and remove limescale. Carbon filters, ion-exchangers, solvent and abrasive cleaners are not interesting for domestic use. They are expensive, unhealthy or don’t get the job done. Furthermore they are bad for your health and the environment. In the water softener advice below you can read how the different water softeners work and the differences among them.


Water softeners based on ion-exchangers turn limestone- and calium-ions into natrium-ions. Patients with high blood pressure or kidney failures are strongly recommended against the use of ion-exchangers. Natrium intake causes a rise in blood pressure and furthermore it puts a higher workload on the kidneys. Technically it’s the natrium in salt that causes high blood pressure. Other downsides of ion-exchangers are that they can’t be installed by yourself, they are very large and need a lot of manual maintenance. The initial purchase is atleast € 1200,- and refills cost about € 100,- yearly. Existing limescale does not get removed by using an ion-exchanger. Our water softener advice is: Not worth it!

Calconditioner is not an ion-exchanger!

Water softeners with carbon filters

A water softener based on carbon is the same filter used in a tropical aquarium. A filter is interesting where there is questionable water quality. In most countries there are quality requirements for tap water. This water usually doesn’t need an extra filter. Water softeners based on carbon filters also remove healthy minerals when filtering limestone. These devices are difficult to install by yourself and need to be replaced regularly. The initial purchase is atleast € 300,- and add about € 200,- yearly for maintenance. Existing limescale doesnt not get removed by using carbon filters. Our water softener advice is: Not worth it!

Solvent- and abrasive cleaners

If you want to remove limescale from your appliances, using solvent- and abrasive cleaners is not the right solution. They don’t prevent anything, they smell, are expensive, and are most of all bad to the environment and your health. These are aggressive substances that require you to protect yourself when using them. When using solvent it won’t take long until you have to redo the whole process to keep it clean. Important to note is that when using these cleaners you only clean visible areas, meanwhile the limescale keeps building up in places that are difficult to see in your expensive appliances. This causes malfunctioning appliances, a higher energy bill and high repair costs. Our water softener advice is: Not worth it!

The correct water softener advice: A Calconditioner

A Calconditioner gets the job done. It’s a physical descaling device and a physical water softener. Calconditioner applies a constantly changing electromagnetic field. This causes the state of the limestone particles to float in your water, which prevents them from attaching. By using a Calconditioner the composition of your water remains the same. Normally about 98% of limestone leaves the water pipes and 2% attaches to your appliances and water pipes. This doesn’t sound like much, but on a yearly basis this keeps adding up to higher numbers. By using Calconditioner 0% attaches to your pipes and appliances. So you no longer have any limescale. Furthermore any existing limescale gradually gets removed by the changed state of the limestone particles in your water. Calconditioner is good for your health and the environment.

Want to learn more?

Do you want to learn more about Calconditioner? Take a look at the many benefits or our frequently asked questions. Our water softeners are purchasable on this website.